Indoor Water Conservation
- Find and fix leaks- replace washers in dripping faucets. One drop per second wastes 2,700 gallons of water per year
- Add Aerators- retrofit bathroom faucets with 1 gallon per minute (gpm) faucet aerators.
- Prevent leaky toilets- to check for toilet leaks, add a couple drops of food coloring in the back tank. If color appears in the bowl, you have a leak. You can save thousands of gallons per year by repairing a leaky toilet.
- Shorten your shower- shorten your shower time by just 1 - 2 minutes and you can save up to 700 gallons per year.
- Turn the faucet off while brushing you teeth
- Wash full loads - wait to run your dishwasher and clothes washer until they are fully loaded.
- Upgrade your appliances- look for dishwashers and clothes washers that are water efficient.
Water at the right time and for the right amount of time dependent on the type of irrigation system you have. Please follow the District's mandatory irrigation schedule to conserve water outside, it is designed to help you keep a healthy lawn while saving water.
Mandatory Irrigation Schedule
Irrigation shall not occur between the hours of 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.
Residents are allowed 3 watering days a week. Watering days based on even/odd last number of street address.
|City Utility Special Use Permit Only
Use the cycle and soak method- The best way to water your lawn is to use the “cycle and soak” method. This method breaks up your watering time into smaller cycles, allowing the water to soak into the soil.
Check for leaks in sprinkler heads and the irrigation line regularly
Make sure you are not watering sidewalks or driveways- check the spray pattern of your irrigation system to make sure you are only watering your lawn and garden.
Xeriscape- Plant native and drought tolerant plants in your lawns and gardens. You can also add mulch and hardscape (rocks).
Make frequent adjustments- Update your sprinkler system run times based on changing weather conditions and water needs. As the irrigation season changes you should also change your watering schedule. Check out suggested watering times by the time of year below.